As a former litigation partner at CMS Cameron McKenna, Tony has more than 30 years experience of negotiating and resolving disputes for clients in a wide range of business sectors. He trained as a mediator twenty years ago and since retiring from legal practice, Tony has become a full time mediator and arbitrator, bringing his litigation experience to finding practical solutions to resolve disputes. Tony has a wealth of experience in resolving disputes ranging from financial, partnership and property disputes, fraud, insurance and contractual.
Tony trained and became a litigation assistant solicitor at Clifford-Turner (now Clifford Chance). He joined McKenna & Co in 1979. From 1983 to 2008 he was a partner in CMS Cameron McKenna’s litigation team.
Tony trained as a mediator in 1994 and has been an ADR Group accredited mediator since 2005. He is also a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He sits as arbitrator in a range of commercial and consumer disputes. In 2011 he became a founder member of the first International Multidisciplinary Chambers for Arbitration, Mediation and Dispute Boards, of which he is the Chairman.
From 2008 to 2012, Tony was Legal Director of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. In this role he advised Institute members on professional and legal issues arising in mediation.
Recent Mediation Cases Include:
• Resolving a dispute under a website supply agreement ,
• Successfully mediating a boundary dispute between two business owners
• Mediating a claim against a former employee of an agency alleged to have obtained a secret commission
• Co-mediator in a construction defects claim
• Resolving a fraud claim by a dental practice against its former manager
• Successfully settling a claim for vicarious liability by a husband and wife against an insurance broker as a result of fraud by a third party
• A dispute between a dental practice and two of its consulting dental practitioners
• A dispute between a distribution company and its consultant as to payment and performance under a consultancy agreement
As well as his mediation experience Tony’s litigation experience includes areas such as Banking and financial litigation, Energy and electricity industry/infrastructure; disputes between grid operators and generators; PFI and infrastructure disputes, Commodities and futures, Pension fund and trust litigation, Information technology disputes in banking and financial industries, Share sale transactions and professional negligence cases in relation to accountants and investment managers
- Speaker at CIArb Mediation Symposia 2008-2013
- Speaker on mediation topics at the Solicitors Group Civil litigation conferences 2013-4
- Assessor for ADR Chambers mediation training 2013
- Official at the Worshipful Company of Arbitrators Mediation Skills Competition 2014
Tony’s interests include cricket, golf, sailing and theatre